Friday, May 31, 2013

Genetics

Due to some miscommunication, Henry's full genetic testing was not done. By the time I thought to check, it was too late to collect a tissue sample. 

What does this mean for us? 

All of the prenatal genetics came back normal. But they don't do a full genetic scan - just an array of the most common genes that cause Holoprosencephaly. I think we took both a high-level genetic view and an in-depth array of the 7 most common genes to cause this condition. 

So we should be safe. It should have just been a "fluke".  Unless we have a rare gene firing, causing the HPE. There's a very, very slight chance of this happening. 

If there is a genetic secret, our chances of our next child having this run to 75%, maybe. 

If not, we should have another perfect little Butler. 

All of the testing happens between 14-20 weeks.  If we decide to have more children.. The first few months will be hell. I'll be completely terrified. Can we risk going through this again? Can we risk doing this to Amelia when she's older? 

She still asks for baby. Jason and I pretend she's asking for one of her numerous dolls. 

We both know it's not true. She's asking for her brother. But there's nothing we can even possibly do to explain it all to her. 

I can't wait until my niece is here. That will help Amelia, I think. And it'll help me - baby snuggles! My sister has a little miracle going for her - and I'm so thrilled. ❤

Decisions really aren't easy. We won't really think about it for at least a year. But it won't be very far from my mind..

No comments:

Post a Comment