Saturday, April 20, 2013

Sweetheart

My favorite and most deeply felt term of endearment is "Sweetheart."

It just has a pure feeling to it. You make my heart sweet. I'm sweet on you. It's a term from yesterday, and it's a classic. It brings to mind men in straw hats and suspenders courting blushing ladies in full skirts. It reminds me of every black and white wedding photo - especially if that photo is from the 18- and 1900's.

When my grandma died, my grandfather engraved her headstone with "I'll never forget you sweetheart" - and that phrase has also been inscribed on my heart.

I'll call a lot of people sweetie. But sweetheart, that's reserved for the people that make my heart sing. My husband, daughter, and my son.

I guess that's part of why I love the Lumineer's song "Ho Hey!" so much. And why I get teary when Amelia sings along.

You're my sweetheart.

No comments:

Post a Comment