Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Depictions

I spent a long weekend in New York City with one of my best friends.

It was a necessary escape. I can't thank her enough for offering her home to me. We spent the weekend pounding the pavement, with her playing the role of tour guide.

I was quite proud of myself. I only broke down twice -- once at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and once in St. Patrick's Cathedral. 

I think I felt mostly anger at St. Patick's Cathedral. It was gorgeous, and there were psalms being sung.. I was moved. And then I saw, just outside of the Lady Chapel, a statue. It was lovely. It was Christ, dead in Mary's arms, tortured. And she looks beatific, peaceful. 

I'm sorry, but, I don't think that's necessarily the best depiction. I feel like it cheapens her. Sure, you can have faith and trust in God. That's not the part that is in question for me. But.. it's her son. It doesn't matter if he's coming back. At that point, she doesn't know. I don't understand why Mary is never depicted as anything other than a gently smiling Mona Lisa figure in the background of the New Testament story.

I relate to her more than most people now. And I just feel that, at least someplace, she should be real. 

No comments:

Post a Comment